Hurray! I managed to get out this evening between the showers and dig up a load more dandelions – and the ubquitous roots. In fact, underneath the carpet over my lawn there were purely roots and yet more roots. I think I will need to go over this patch several times to clear the ground of all traces of root but there is a certain amount of satisfaction in picking them out of the soil and then dropping them into the green waste bin. A reverse digging for gold.
On the other hand, the grass roots haven’t decomposed as much as I would have liked, but it will be interesting to see how well the cauliflowers and/or broccoli will grow in the new piece of garden I have created for one or two plants… maybe more depending on how much more of the lawn I manage to get rid of.
I also decided the lettuce had to be protected from the birds that have been picking at them as they emerge from the compost in the bag I’ve sown the seeds in. This bag started out with potatoes which were not a resounding success – at least in terms of volume of produce. I think this was down to a very hot spell in June two years ago and my aversion to using tap water to irrigate the garden.
On the subject of how to water my garden, I have started to refine my use of water from the house. So, for example, I now put the water I’ve washed vegetables in on the pots/bags. Being on a water meter and trying to be as ecologically minded as possible, I want to keep the use of tap water to a minimum.