Where was I going to plant the radishes? I did eventually find a space for them this afternoon, at the end of my rows of broad beans, but I am seriously running out of space for anything that hasn’t been allocated one.
In that respect, thank goodness, most of the cauliflower seedlings seemed to have been eaten by the birds, before I sorted out their netting properly. It is a shame not to be able to grow as much as I want and be slightly more self-sufficient, so I ought to phone the council and get myself on the waiting list for an allotment. With a waiting list of up to seven years, however, I need to make most efficient use of the space I have out of my own back door.
I think that up till now I have got the spacing between plants slightly wrong. Sometimes, the plants have been too close and at others I could have actually grown more, had I placed the plants closer together. Still, I am very much in the experimental stage, learning by trial and error as much as reading round the subject.
Regarding what is written and what actually happens, I noticed today the first flower coming out on the beans. Or is it a flower – could it be wishful thinking? The packet says beautiful crimson flowers but this is definitely white. Time will tell… crimson would indeed be beautiful but if white produces the goods my stomach will be more than happy.
Another surprise today has been the purple sprouting broccoli. It is starting to bolt and so yellow flowers are developing. I’m in half a mind to see what happens next but can I hold out long enough as I will need the ground soon for something more productive. Mm, a decision I can make nearer the time, I think.
The apple tree’s blossom, on the other hand, is starting to fall off. At the same time, more shoots are growing lower down the trunk and there are definite, though small, branches at the top. I wonder how long it will be before the tree starts to gain any height, as it has not done so since I bought it as a bare-rooted maiden a year gone November.
Not quite so fantastic are the re-emergence of the bushes which I thought I had eradicated over the last two years. It seems that there must be some roots left. The same is true of the dandelions, which I have had another go at today. It may be time-consuming work but I can at least say I am getting my workout!