This evening, I saw some mangetout flowers on the ground and at first was disappointed. I thought that either the wind had blown them off or the birds had been having a peck. Then I noticed the reason they were on the ground was because the newly formed pods had knocked them off. So, now there is some lovely mangetout to look forward to in the not-too-distant future.
I also finally transplanted some of the new purple sprouting broccoli plants to their new home and sowed some sweetcorn seed in the area where the old broccoli had been but yesterday. So, looking at my garden now, it is full of green and growing plants. The soil is also very easy to work, so it seems to me that the dry weather prior to the rain on Thursday had taken the moisture out of no more than the surface.
Now, it will be interesting to see if the birds decide to take a nibble at the transplanted broccoli. I have covered some of them with the cloche nets I bought last week but I only had one left and it is not big enough to cover all eight plants. I am also aware that they are planted too closely together but I’m working on the theory that not all of them will survive the move and so rather than digging up a few seedlings at a time, I might as well move a chunk of them together.
In a change from last year, I am planting the sweetcorn much closer together. I think I must have misread the information on the seed packet last year – but realised too late that I could have had more plants and thus more cobs had I utilised the ground more effectively. This year, I’ve put down plenty of manure as well, so that adds to the chance of a reasonable crop this time round.