The water on top of the soil has gone, the sky is blue (though there are some ominous black clouds up there, too) and the sun is mostly shining and quite hot, though now in the late afternoon a slight breeze has started up. When we arrived home from a children’s birthday party at midday, I was drawn to start some (overdue) work on the garden, doing first one job, then another, until I realised that I was on a roll. The upshot is that I have achieved rather a lot today.
The plastic sheet at the bottom of the garden, which had been put down to kill the weeds in that part of the garden finally came up and in digging the soil I was able to pull out the roots of the couch grass, so hope that will be the end of that matter. I also pulled out some plastic bags, which had been in the compost I had put there before the sheet went down.
Plastic, you may ask, what was that doing in the compost? Well, it was supposedly compostable plastic but after two years in the compost bin and then over six months under plastic sheeting it was still undecomposed, so now it has gone in the bin. Clearly, this type of compostable plastic is meant for different composting conditions. Or perhaps it is in fact simply plastic.
Anyway, the ground prepared, I then planted two more tomato plants and sowed some carrot seed next to the tomatoes. I understand in companion planting terms that these two vegetables grow well together, although last year when I tried the same the carrots didn’t grow at all. Hopefully, this time will be different.
Whilst in that part of the garden I noticed that the radished and turnips I had sown as a catch crop between other tomato plants had come through. Wow, that was quick! And just as well I had noticed because the sparrows had already started making themselves a meal of the seedlings. I had wondered what they had suddenly found so fascinating with the fence on that side of the garden. Sadly, I have deprived them of that meal as the seedlings are now protected with netting.
I am actually running out of netting and so it looks like another trip to the garden centre is coming up. This time, I want to get some bigger cloche netting, so that I can cover the broccoli, which is getting too big for the first cloches I used. In addition, I have planted some more seedlings in a new position, having dug up a couple of the garlic plants which are now drying in the sun.
I’ve also reassigned some of the netting, which has left a few of the plants unprotected, as some of the lettuce did not seem to be doing too well under the cloche I bought recently. Perhaps it had not been letting in enough light, although it could actually be the rhubarb nearby which is creating the problem.
The final job was turning the compost heap. I’d been wondering about doing that for a while, but did not have anywhere new to put it (I find it easier to turn the contents by moving the bin and then refilling it with the stuff I had tipped out first). So, in the end I decided to put the bin on the lawn, which is not ideal, but an expedient measure.
Once the bin was reloaded, I was amazed to see that the contents were much more compactly packed. I also noticed that there were a number of slugs slithering around in there, so I have added some pellets to attempt to keep them at bay. Fingers crossed they stay in there and produce no mor that might decide to venture out for different food.