Last night, I decided to harvest the rest of the garlic. I had already dug some up and been disappointed by the results. Now, I was now impatient to make some changes to the garden.
Another job already done was to thin out one batch of cabbage seedlings. As it seemed a shame to put them straight in the compost, I decided to try the strongest out elsewhere. So, to my amazement, I now have three seedlings which have started to reroot themselves in their new position.
This success spurred me on to reposition some purple sprouting broccoli. Having decided that it was time to change the compost in one of the grow bags, I emptied it out onto a patch which had previously been a path and then moved three of the sturdiest broccoli plants to their new home. And unlike last year, when I had been too lazy to stake them, I gave them some support. I hope this means they will be more sightly in the spring 🙂
This morning, the broccoli are looking a bit droopy but they do fill the garden out at the back. As I still have few flowers in that area, I might as well be feeding us!!
©Helen Butt, July 2013