On Thursday morning, I rushed outside before work to bring in anything that might get blown away by the 80-mile an hour gale. It never occurred to me that I might come home in the evening to an altogether different issue!
One of the fence panels had in fact broken and come out of its posts. It was a bit of a shock to see the wood laying splintered on my neighbour’s patio and I didn’t relish the expense of getting another panel to replace it.
However, my neighbour said she would pay half the cost of the replacement and when I looked online I was pleased to see it was going to cost only a little money anyway. Then I realised this mishap was actually a blessing in disguise….. My allotment needs a compost heap. I had thought about acquiring some wood to make one rather than buying one which, in my experience, was less than satisfactory. So, bingo, here was the solution, currently propped up against the wendy house.
I haven’t had time today to get the saw out, so it will probably be next weekend now before I can get the wood in the car and get my view back at home. Still, I am not producing the kind of material at the allotment which I would be willing to put on the heap just yet. Couch grass and dandelions would need far more heat than a compost heap the size mine is likely to be could generate.
At the same time, I have come home with another two and a half kilos of potatoes this afternoon. And I have met more of the other tenants at the allotment. Some of them have been around since this allotment was re-opened three years ago and they were able to tell me some of the history of my plot.
In a nutshell, there have been chemicals sprayed on the plot. However, they do not appear to have been particularly effective as far as I can see, considering how big the dandelion roots I’ve been digging out are. Fortunately, that also means the rhubarb roots I had pointed out to me might also be good croppers next year. Better get back to the plot with some stable manure then 😉
© Helen Butt, December 2013