Woke up with a sore throat and did think about not going to the allotment today. However, it was sunny and I did want to get the asparagus that’s been going back and forth over last couple of weeks planted.
Once there, I first decided to clear the area round the rhubarb of dandelions and couch grass. Oh my! It wasn’t difficult in the sense that the digging was hard work. In fact, after doing the same in my own garden, it was a relatively easy task. The challenge was rather sorting the ground out without disturbing the rhubarb crowns.
Sadly, some of the crowns didn’t survive the experience. Only one of them has been left fully intact, whilst another I left in situ, in the hope that it will be okay.
The pair of them will no doubt be happy to have received a good feed of manure. I put a whole bag of the stuff over them and then finally got down to digging a trench for the asparagus.
Asparagus is a new challenge for me – and one that I have been a bit scared of trying as it isn’t as simple as making holes in the soil and putting some seeds in. Asparagus crowns do in fact need to be put in a trench which is about a foot deep. There needs to be a ridge about five inches high in the middle on which the crown is placed and then the roots are dangled down the side of the ridge.
By the time I had finished planting the first crown, I decided enough was enough. Generally, my inclination is to push myself but on this occasion I felt it would be better to come back another day and do the job properly, rather than rush so that I could get off to deliver some Christmas cards.
So, maybe that is a job for Christmas Day, which will probably be the next opportunity to get the spade out 🙂
© Helen Butt, December 2013