It was beautifully sunny and warm when I woke up this morning, so I was expecting a lovely time at the allotment….. Ha! It started to rain just before I set off. Then on my way home glorious sunshine appeared once more.
Still, in spite of being totally sodden, I achieved quite a lot. This included letting the skies do the watering under the cloches, which saved me a job 😉
When I took one cloche off, I noticed that the lettuce had had a growth spurt since I thinned out the line last week. And look at the difference between the lettuce growing under protection and the end of the row which doesn’t fit under it.
Other progress, I hope, is that the nasturtiums I sowed by the runner beans seem to be coming through. On the other hand, the beans themselves are nowhere to be seen. I hope the seeds haven’t been nobbled by what could be vine weevils. In any case, if they have not made an appearance by the end of the week, I will sow some more. And do a bit of research into vine weevils.
© Helen Butt, June 2014