While there has been some excess water (ie rain), I have taken advantage of something to dampen the soil inside the greenhouse to put a final plant in there.
The pepper plants had been somewhat tardy in their development, but at last one was big and strong enough to move to its designated spot in the greenhouse. However, first I not only had to water the ground but remove the primroses which had been happily growing there. These can now be moved to the front garden, if they don’t die before I have time to replant them.
There was also the matter of a rather large tree root (probably from next door’s silver birch). Once I started taking up the garden path 18 months ago I noticed it and couldn’t quite work out how to deal with it. Now, the ground has miraculously softened, so digging it out was no problem. Well, cutting up the bit which was in the way of the pepper was no problem, anyway.
Turning to other matters, since the cauliflower seedlings have been coming on nicely, it seemed like a fitting moment to get them in the ground as well. Not in the greenhouse, I hasten to add. No, in with the red cabbage (which look more green than red, I have to say) and salad greens.
Or rather, I planted one out. The rest need a different home. But not today, as I have a bit of shifting to do first.
I am feeling so pleased about having the range of vegetables I do this year, though. Whether or not the greenhouse makes it to another year, at least it is giving opportunities which previously were beyond the scope of my garden.