Darkness stopped me in my tracks last night. I had wanted to plant some cauliflower seedlings, so gone out with my hoe to spruce the soil up a little. Only the soil was compacted and there was no chance of hoeing anything.
So, out came the spade. And if I was digging, I thought I might as well get out the blackberry bush roots which remained after the removal of the plant to another part of the garden last autumn. However, this was starting to take more time than the light allowed, so I finished the job in the rain (rain – hurray!) this afternoon.
It also meant that I ended up moving the soil a lot more than I had originally intended. At least one worm was a casualty – and goodness only knows how many billions of microbes. However, this hopefully means there won’t be any thorny bushes popping up between the caulis in the forthcoming months.
And I took advantage of the trench to get rid of some more wood (and thick stalks), somewhat in the style of a hugel bed. I’m hoping that will help counteract the dryness, which is an ongoing battle under normal circumstances. But even if that fails, at least the soil will receive some nutrients from the manure and wood.