It’s the start of ten days off work and I want my time to be as productive as possible. So what better way to procrastine over jobs in the house than to get into the garden!
The phacelia and other green manures in the front garden have come to an end now, and I cut them all down last weekend. Some of the stalks I used as mulch round my crops but I also wanted ground cover at the front. I don’t want any animals taking a fancy to it as a toilet again, apart from anything else.
The cover will also hopefully reduce weeds getting a hold and prevent erosion until the autumn, when I get the main planting done. (I plan to transfer ornamentals from the back so that the forest garden can be filled with more perennial edibles.)
Now, in the front, there is still some of the original lawn to kill off. Round the edges, in particular, where the cardboard and manure didn’t quite cover the ground, it has been growing quite vigorously. So, more cardboard has gone down. And this time, instead of manure, I’ve put homemade compost on the top. This should be less attractive for the kitties.
To top it all, lettuce seeds have been sown. Hopefully, with the fewer hours of direct sunlight on this spot, any plants that germinate won’t bolt over the summer months.