Only a few days ago, my compost heap was jammed to the rafters. Then I took out a bit of almost finished compost at the bottom – the bit at the front which was accessible – but the rest will have to stay until I have a place to move the bin to, so that I can turn the whole lot.
In the meantime, instead of turning the contents in their entirety, I did a partial turn: hands in and the top layers got mixed up.
My word! The heat in the compost bin this morning was incredible. And the size of the heap had more than halved. No doubt the bin itself has something to do with it, but I am also in no doubt that the bokashi mix that went in at the beginning of the month is a reason, too.
And now I will definitely have room for the plants coming to the end of their life this growing season. There is, however, still some producing left to do, especially as the weather is so warm and sunny right now.