Starting on Boxing Day last year, I did a lasagne gardening experiment to get rid of my lawn. Putting down cardboard covered with manure at that time of year should have made killing the grass easier, in theory perhaps, as it would not be growing then.
Mm. Throughout the summer, I’ve been re-covering patches of grass poking through the cardboard/manure.
I’ve also been through one round of green manure and am now onto a second. This was intended to stop weeds self-sowing (amongst other things), which I think has been a success. However, it couldn’t stop the dandelions that were already in the lawn from carrying on as usual.
So, now that my psoriatic hands have been feeling much better, I have been out with my spade today to dig out as many dandelions as possible. This job was also made easier by the cardboard and manure covering, no doubt, since the spade went into the soil like a dream (until it hit something hard, which I would guess is builders’ rubble).
The photo below shows you what I got out of the front garden. I think I could get at least the same again from the parts I didn’t touch tonight but at least I can say the number of worms puts my back garden to shame.