This time last year, I planted lots of strawberry runners, courtesy of Old Sleningford Farm, so that there was ground cover in my nascent forest garden. And over the summer I was really pleased to see new runners shooting out and planting themselves.
Going back to last autumn, one thing I didn’t yet know, or rather two things: I was going to get a bokashi bin and start using the mix in hugel beds. So, with the wind having abated – I wouldn’t have wanted shredded paper, which I added to the bed, to have blown away before I had chance to cover it up with manure and topsoil – I first had to lift the strawberry plants and runners in order to make space for the latest hugel bed.
This hugel bed has more wood in it than the two I built earlier in the year. The rationale for this is that it being in an area for perennial crops, I won’t be digging up such plants on a regular basis. I don’t think it will take long for the mound to go down, all the same, considering the bed I constructed in the spring is already back to ground level.
Not having dug saturated clay before, I was in for a bit of a shock at how heavy the soil was in comparison with when it is dry. I was also pretty wiped out by the time I had finished, so laying down a path and other plans will have to wait till another day now.
At least all my trees are still standing. Unlike the one below which had blown down overnight on Wednesday, near where I park my car on a workday.