A couple of years ago, I started the long process of sorting out the area of the back garden where there was a path. The path consisted of rotten membrane covered with paving stones, interspersed with pebbles.
Now, the stones have been dispersed around the garden and most of the pebbles have been picked out of the compacted soil and gone to a happier home (I hope). As for the membrane, the only place it could go was in the bin.
I had long had the idea of digging up the ground which had been under all that. But I got sidetracked by the allotment I acquired around the same time. Then I thought that spot would be the best for a greenhouse.
Now, anyone who has followed my blog over the last year will know how much I had looked forward to put up the greenhouse and growing things in it. You will also be aware of its untimely demise. But not to worry, I have now reverted to the idea of doing a spot of digging.
When the rains were very heavy recently, I saw that the ground was potentially digable. Of course, since it has dried up again, I am beginning to wonder if that wasn’t wishful thinking – I’ll have to get my spade out a bit more quickly next time – but I have dismantled the top half of the greenhouse in readiness for another opportunity to get that soil sorted.
I’m rather attached to the bottom half of the greenhouse. It will have to be moved but I think it could be covered with the parts of the cover which didn’t get torn over the summer. Then I’ll have more cloches to replace the ones which have seen better days.
Part of it could also become a table for potting up on. I’ve certainly got plenty of poles and joints to try it out. But more than anything I would like to reclaim the compacted ground to grow things in.