Over the last week, since the first weekend of the permaculture design course, I’ve been quite churned up. Wondering why I was doing the course, wondering how it could benefit me, wondering if it was in fact all a load of nonsense.
Then, I got the email this evening with a reminder of what we had done on the course so far with details of what to look for when designing. Thus, I sat down to write up a description of my gardens, including what might be termed ‘leakages’.
Now, some of the weak points I am all too well aware of, such as soil fertility and sunlight – or lack thereof. But the more I dug, metaphorically speaking, the more I realised how planning could help make my garden a place that works.
Having done my garden in a piecemeal, unplanned fashion, I’ve ended up with a bit of a challenge to sort out. Particularly in the area on the south-west side, where the garden path used to be. You see, what I really need is a shed.
The only place I think the shed could go is where the remnants of the greenhouse stand. Fine – the ground isn’t up to growing stuff in its current state anyway. But then what about the bins and the trees and getting the bikes in and out of the garden. Oops!
At least the penny’s dropped that I can learn a lot that will be of benefit to me, even if that means coming out of my comfort zone. In sum, I need to plan rather than acting on the hoof. Could be good in other ways, too, that could!