A couple of years ago, whilst digging a trench in the back garden, I found a crisp packet dating from when the house was built. Then on the allotment, also whilst digging, there was a plastic bag deep in the soil. It contained polystyrene.
Now, today, I’ve come across a third unpleasant plastic bag, this time in the subsoil where I’ve been building my fourth hugel bed.
Anyway, trying to get the bag (and contents) out of the subsoil took quite a bit of time out of my day. I didn’t want to leave it, however, as much as anything because I was curious. And the roots of the bay tree, which is planned for that spot, don’t need to get tangled in it.
Altogether is was quite an exhausting job. I moved a lot of soil to create the trench for wood, bokashi mix, newspaper and compost, before putting the soil back on top again.
The first hugel bed I build (last June) has already shrunk back to the level of the surrounding ground. Too little wood in it probably, so this time there is considerably more, which means the wood pile is almost gone. Just enough for one more hugel bed, I think.
Thankfully, that is two to three months away, when the next bokashi bin is ready to be emptied. My joints ache and I’m almost out of energy, but I did manage to sow some carrot seeds… In the new hugel bed!
Yes, these are in the herb garden. I’m going to let the contents of the hugel bed rot down a bit before I plant the bay tree – and, if things go according to plan, some lavender. Ah, that thought soothes my aching bones 🙂