This year, I seem to be spending far more time than ever before pulling and digging out unwanted vegetation. So much for mulch and ground cover supposedly keeping weeds at bay.
To be fair, the reason there were brambles growing in the front garden is down to the fact that I put branches from the blackberry bush under the manure I used to get rid of my front lawn. I thought I had removed it all, once I had realised the mistake but it looks like some of it got left behind, even it was just fragments.
However, I cannot see that this is the reason for the same growing in one of the hugel beds in the herb garden, so in this case it must have been a seed blowing in. And now it is no more.
Instead, where once the brambles were growing alongside the carrots, I have now planted a lavender plant. Great that it had already started to flower in its pot. Now, I hope it grows from a seedling into a bush.
And deciding where exactly to place the lavender was made easier, thanks to one carrot on the verge of flowering, too. And thanks to rebeccatreeseed, I have been inspired to save seed to produce plants which have naturalised to my environment (I hope).
Certainly, the chard that ended up all over the garden because I put its flowers in the compost bin seems to doing remarkably well. So I’m filling the freezer with it in the hope that later in the year I will be able to rely less than previously on buying vegetables in. (As it is, I’ve been able to reduce my food bill quite a lot by eating what the garden produces.)