A few years ago, my dad gave me a very small date palm. I think it was in the days before I started blogging, so I never thought to take a photograph.
I potted it on – the next pot was huge at the time but this year the palm was starting to look sorry for itself. So, I realised it was time for it to go in the ground.
I knew it wasn’t going to be easy getting the tree out of its pot. I’d had a struggle with the pine tree a couple of years earlier. At the same time, if I’d succeeded then I could succeed again (without breaking the pot, which aside from being expensive is one of my favourites).
Anyway, after half an hour of prizing the plant away from the pot’s sides with a hoe, after copious amounts of water, and lots of wobbling the plant about, it finally came out. And immediately, I could see why it had been suffering: the roots were coiled round the bottom of the base.
I wasn’t able to dig a hole deep enough in the front garden for the palm, so I heaped soil round the roots above the original soil level. I hope this will be sufficient – and that the roots in the soil will be able to stretch out, so that the tree is able to withstand the probable strong winds in the winter.
One thing’s for sure, the patio now looks quite empty. It’s got me thinking about what I can do to fill the space. However, I will sit on it (literally as well as metaphorically) for a while before making any decisions.