This evening, as I was turning the compost and moving that which was almost ready to the other bin, I noticed I didn’t have as much to put into the finishing off bin as I used to.
At first, I was a little dismayed but, on reflection, this is the inevitable consequence of putting bokashi mix straight into the hugel beds, as I build them. In other words, most of my kitchen waste is being diverted.
Last year, I was very excited by the effect I felt the bokashi mix was having. The crops on top of the hugel beds seemed to be doing brilliantly. Not so much this year, it seems, as the tomato plant and peppers there are hardly growing.
However, I think this has more to do with sprinkling wood ash on the top of the soil: the soil is a bit too alkaline perhaps. And I certainly can’t complain about the poppies that are growing in the same soil!
Last night, my daughter and I started collecting the seeds from the poppies which have flowered. The bowl you see in the picture is just a small number of the heads that have been collected to be dried, so that the seeds are ready for storage.
It’s going to a long job saving the poppy seeds, but great to have a crop after the beauty of the flowers themselves has gone.