Originally, I’d intended to have a rather large rocket bush out the ground in time for tomato planting. But then the ground became far too dry and hard and I decided not to bother.
In spite of being repeatedly cut back, I was getting the feeling of being overwhelmed. No doubt, the nearby tomato plants were as well. So, in view of the autumnal risks by way of botrytis and other scaries, the rocket needed to come out, so that the tomatoes would have as much ventilation as possible.
I also picked lots of chard to be blanched and frozen. In fact, I pulled quite a bit up by the roots, made much easier now the soil is moist again. It too had been crowding out tomato plants and had to go.
Close planting might work for some things – and I would say production has increased in my garden because of such – but tomato plants are a different beast, I think.