Brr! This is the first time in years I have truly felt cold outdoors. Freezing fog had been predicted and it was nothing less this morning.
However, there was work I felt compelled to do in the garden. Namely, the ground where the final two flagstones for the shed base will go needed levelling.
This wasn’t a challenging job, fortunately. The strawberry plants came up easily enough, though how many of them will survive the experience of first being trodden on multiple times to get rid of the Wendy house and now being unearthed.
I have got the map somewhere of the bulbs I planted in this area, which never (or mostly never) appeared above ground, presumably smothered by the ground cover which subsequently covered them as well. Yet they seem to be sprouting now, so in the front garden they will go. Along with all the other bulbs which are similarly doing their stuff.
Whilst removing soil, I also found tree roots, which I presume to be left over from the bushes I took out years ago. If so, it shows how long wood takes to decompose in the ground. On the other hand, they could well be from nextdoor’s silver birches which were cut down last year. In a sense, I hope it is the latter, otherwise my hugel beds really are going to take a long time to work their wonders.