Yesterday, we went on the hunt for a shed. Not only did it need to be a good quality shed, it needed to be delivered, carried through to my back garden and installed on a day I would be at home.
The first place proved to be a bit awkward, since I would have had to carry the shed parts from the front to the back of the house myself and then wait a week for installation. Mm.. Fortunately, the next place, as recommended by people at the Old Sleningford volunteer workday, turned out to be my saviour.
A bit more pricey, but on top of the aforementioned stipulations, I had been hopeful of tantalised ship lap, and that’s what I’ll be getting – with more secure bolts, to boot. However, I realised that the base as laid down a couple of weeks ago would not do. It wobbled, was lopsided, uneven and not big enough.
After working on it this morning and again later in the afternoon, it is no longer quite so wanting. And I think it should now pass muster.
I had to lift two of the flagstones, which turned out to be a lot easier than anticipated. Then I brought sand up from the patio to even out the ground (and got to use the spirit level I always knew I would need someday) and enlarged the base with smaller flagstones and bricks.
Apart from the advantage of being able to repurpose the sand from the patio – or rather some of it – moving it meant I got to see how deep it was and what was underneath.
Well, it turns out to be on a bed of yellow clay and the sand is rocky (or maybe it’s bits of concrete). So, I’m going to move the soil currently covering half my strawberries, which was dug up from the area where the shed base now sits, to replace the sand.
Maybe I need to do a bit more clearance from the patio, having learned that builders sand may have growth inhibitors in it, but one way or another the garden is going to look a bit different in the near future!