Originally, along the back fence there was a hawthorn bush. It was great for berries and, had I known at the time, would also have been fodder for hugel beds. However, I didn’t and there was the question of whether or not it might affect the apple tree, since they are both in the Rosaceae family.
Over a period of time, I therefore cut down and dug out the hawthorn bush, thereby ending up with a nice chunk of extra ground to grow other stuff in. Except that the neighbouring pine trees, which are about house-height now, block the sun for much of autumn through to spring.
This patch therefore seemed an excellent place to store the numerous wheelie bins. Until I acquired the wild garlic yesterday. Hurrray!
I had planned to spend this morning moving the compost bin, as I would like to take out the compost which is almost ready, in preparation for the next hugel bed. On the other hand, I wanted to make sure my newest perennial crop had the best chance of survival, so the priority was getting that in the ground.
I need to empty the brown wheelie bin of the last plant pots (and put them in the shed), so that I can divest the garden of another monstrosity (hopefully the council will have it back). Then the flagstone it is on can move behind the shed and I can reclaim this patch of ground for the remainder of the wild garlic, currently in a pot. Better remember to water them in the meantime!
And the hawthorn is growing back. Obviously, I didn’t get all the roots out. This is great, though, as it means the birds have a few berries and the clippings to keep it under control will be most useful.