Never enough space for seedlings

Today, I feel I have achieved quite a lot in terms of potting on. I am still enthralled by the fact that I can do this, now that I have the shed and a cold frame. So, butternut squash as well as tomatoes have gone into bigger pots and I’ve got melons which will likewise need more space soon.

Butternut squash repotted and enjoying a spot of sun on the kitchen windowsill.

To relieve space in the shed, the final peas have gone into the garden. The net blew down and was getting tangled in the garlic but it has been resurrected in the hope that the peas will steady it before too long.

Perhaps it is just as well the shed is a little on the cool side, though, as there wouldn’t be enough room if everything needed potting on at the same time. I’m also less pushed for space than might otherwise have been the case because, for example, round one of the sesame seeds came to nothing. Hence, more of those have been sown today and hopefully this time they will thrive.

Advertisements

About Helen

I have always been interesting in living a more environmentally friendly lifestyle and used to do what I could. Now, I have come to realise that we have reached such a point in terms of environmental degradation that it is more important - perhaps - to focus on building resilience. I therefore do as much as I can to reuse, grow my own and encourage a supportive community, for example. I also keep reading and learning all the time.
This entry was posted in Gardening and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Never enough space for seedlings

  1. well done. I’m running out of space for seedlings on the windowsill too

    • Helen says:

      I hope all you are growing inside makes it outdoors, Jackie.

      I realise that the more space we have, the more space we fill, so there is never a solution, is there?

      • jeffpermie says:

        go vertical! πŸ™‚

        • Helen says:

          You mean go vertical with seeds? Could you give an example?

          • jeffpermie says:

            Sure: Cucumbers, most Pumpkins, Butternut, Achocha, Melons and Watermelon even Nasturtium are climbers if helped along πŸ™‚
            So with the space issue, place most of your trellises on your south facing wall / area, keep the bootoms of the plants clear of any leaves so that you can make use of the space below for other plants lower down.

            I have an old post where there are good photo examples of this, one great one I might try next year is an ‘A’ frame for pumpkins and other squash, under the ‘A’ frame the pumpkins will hang freely and below on ground level you can plant your sun shy salads and other leaf crops, perhaps even a couple of mushroom logs which also love dappled shade?
            Trellises can be placed throughout the garden to help create micro-climates and wind breaks as well. My first ever trellis was built 3 years ago from about 90% reclaimed bamboo canes and the other 10% being strong reclaimed fencing post type timber for stability in my windy site as well as wires / screws to hold it all together …this trellis is still standing strong and will now support climbers again for the fourth year running πŸ™‚

          • Helen says:

            Oh, I see. My post was about germinating seeds which need to be indoors/under glass.

            Unfortunately my south facing wall is a sliding door and the kitchen window – no room for any trellises 😒.

            Glad your trellis is doing so well 😊.

I love to read about your own experiences and any other feedback you have, so look forward to your comments below.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s