Today was the final one of the Permaculture Design Course, where we got to present our group designs of an allotment plot. It was a slightly surreal experience, particularly in view of the fact that I only met this year’s cohort, with whom I did the design, at the last PDC weekend in June. This didn’t stop me feeling sad as we said our goodbyes.
My daughter had a good time working with ‘her’ group, who were so accommodating. I think she will also have learned much, even if she swears blind at the moment that it was ‘boring’. At least she approves of this year’s choice of land to design!
Anyway, gardening doesn’t stop for me – and sourcing sundries via Freegle was next on my to-do list today. Or rather collecting a propagator on the way home. The lady decided to gift me the pots, too, as she felt they would be more useful to me than her.
My hope is that the propagator will lead to a higher germination rate. I’m onto my second attempt with soapwort – am interested to see if this herb can indeed replace tradition bars of soap and in turn be better for my psoriatic hands.
Most of the cucumber and butternut squash seeds have also failed to germinate. In the case of the latter, that may not be a bad thing, as I hardly have room in the garden for more of these plants. On the other hand, one cucumber plant is less than sufficient for our needs.