My daughter is on an extended sleepover at a friend’s house, which gives me ample time to focus on the latest MOOC I am doing. However, I need to take regular breaks in order to process all the information. Which means popping out to the garden now and then.
I’d noticed that the soil round the currant bushes I planted last autumn was starting to crack (I’ve noticed this where I’ve dug before)
so some remedial action seemed necessary. To this end, I used some more of the pine needles I got from a friend to mulch all the currant bushes.
It will be interesting to see how the bushes develop over the coming year with this method. So far, the original two bushes have grown but slowly, although that could be to do with the aphid attacks in previous years as much as lack of moisture.
So far this year, there haven’t been any aphids. In any case, I decided to get in early with my neem spray to try to contain them. Apart from probably affecting growth, they do make the leaves look so unsightly.