At last, the day has arrived when I came home to a new fence down the east side of my back garden.
The photo makes it look a bit wonky, which in fact it isn’t. However, my neighbour herself is perhaps a bit disappointed that the fence panels aren’t at the same height and I’d rather they weren’t so high. I didn’t express my misgivings, though, as there isn’t much that can be done at this point.
The man who kindly did the job for a minimal cost (I didn’t pay for it) explained that there was just too much builders rubbish to go deep enough. That doesn’t surprise me in the least, considering what I’ve found when making my hugel beds!
Anyway, here begins a new chapter in the making of my back garden. The first thing that needs to be done is to sort out the upheaval on my side of the fence. For example, the hugel bed I built last winter which attracted the attentions of the rats has been disturbed.
As you can see, the soil is really just sand and the willow branches have begun to decompose not one iota. Of course, six or so months is hardly any time for this kind of activity but I suspect that if they were left for five years, they’d probably come out in much the same state. At least they haven’t sprouted.
Hopefully, we will have a downpour in the very near future, otherwise the fate of the rest of the garden could well be the same as the broad beans pictured above.