When I moved into my property in 2009, the back garden was awash with crocosmia. In most spots, I’ve managed to get them out but there are the occasional patches of resistance.
One such is at the back of the garden, which had formerly been difficult to get to (until the fence was sawn down last week). And full of pebbles. So, altogether the crocosmia had been left to their own devices.
However, now that it has rained, today seemed like the ideal time to crack on with tackling this patch.
It took about an hour to get the corms, pebbles and lurking couch grass out. Fortunately, the soil was soft and quite pleasing to handle. It now has phacelia sown in it, which hopefully will soon grow and provide pretty flowers for me and the bees as well as biomass at a later stage.
The garden is actually well and truly devoid of flowers, which is something else I need to work on. The vegetables are providing a bit of nectar but there could be more.