After a change in my timetable, I realised I could have a day off work today so that amongst other things I could have some unexpected time with my daughter, with it being half term. It also meant I could have some time in the front garden, while she went off with a friend.
At the start of the month, I had been raring to get the tulips, which I had bought at the Eden Project back in August, in the ground. Then I had learned that they were less likely to succumb to tulip fire if planted later. So, now we are down to low temperatures, I reckon they are good to go.
The front garden was surprisingly compacted. Okay, it used to be a lawn, although it wasn’t walked on particularly often. And then the grass was cleared using the lasagne gardening technique, which I thought was supposed to soften the soil.
Another issue was the number of roots I had to dig through to get the spade in. Most of the garden is planted up now, so finding a patch of uncultivated ground was the other challenge.
However, most of them are out and I’m waiting for the marigolds to stop blooming before the rest are planted. I’m so looking forward to spring to see how they turn out.