Suddenly, I feel the pressure is on to get jobs in the garden done. One of these was to use up the rest of the latest bokashi to add fertility to the new rhubarb bed, after it was lifted last autumn to make way for the pond.
The hole also got rid a good amount of old paper work, so nice to say bye bye to some of the past, apart from anything else. Hopefully, this will also help with water retention for a little while at least.
One thing I am kicking myself about is not mixing the bokashi with the feathers before I put them in the hole. This would have prevented the majority of them blowing round the garden instead. Still, the soil already has what remains of the bokashi that went into the ground when I built a hugelbed here a couple of years ago.
And boy, was there some worm activity still going on! I never used to see so many worms but now they are obviously attracted to all that food to process courtesy of my bokashi bin. I am sad, though, that I’ve disturbed so much ground over the past few months. How many of them, as well as other types of soil life, I must have killed I dread to think.
Talking of disturbed ground, or rather no longer disturbing it, the other item on my list of jobs today was to use up some of the bricks I’ve acquired on a wall round Monday’s hugelbed. This is to become a raised bed, where I will mulch with compost to bring it up to the top of the wall if possible.
I’ve decided not to do that yet, though, because I don’t want lemon balm seeds, which are probably still activity in the compost, to germinate around the broad beans I plan to put in the bed.