Over the last few years, I’ve not needed to buy any garlic bulbs for the following year’s crop. At first, the garlic produced bulbils and then it started developing mini bulbs along with the main one in the ground. However, this year I have had neither. Shame!
As the garlic was now ready to come out the ground, though, it provided the opportunity to sort out the bed for the day lilies I’ve been nurturing in the house for the last few months.
Apart from the aforementioned garlic, the now ubiquitous ground elder needed to come out. I’d like to think I have finally got all the roots out but it is probably going to be a never-ending battle. Hopefully, I haven’t disturbed the wild garlic in this bed too much with all the digging but at least lots of bokashi has been added, which I hope will benefit the apple tree nearby, if nothing else.
As for the day lilies, they will need hardening off, which I had completely forgotten about until writing this post. I wouldn’t risk planting them just now, anyway, as the slugs and snails are out with it being so wet. I’ve used up all my eggshells on the hostas and the globe artichoke. Not that they actually protected the latter, which has been seriously nibbled. But I do hope it will survive.