As it started to spit with rain this evening, I suddenly remembered that I had planned to take out the almost finished compost from the bottom of the bin and transfer it to the finishing off bin. I’d like to have as much compost as possible to add to the raised bed this autumn and the dalek needs more space, even though what I added the other day is thankfully reducing in volume.
Of course, the heavens then opened, so instead of getting a sprinkling of rain on my jacket, within minutes I was drenched. To add to my discomfort, the compost bin had a large population of ants, a phenomenon I’ve not noticed before. My guess is it must be an anthill in there.
In any case, I ended up with ants climbing up the sleeves of my jacket and then up the inside, where they started biting my arms. Notwithstanding, I ploughed on, determined to get the job done.
There wasn’t as much compost as I’d hoped but I could have got none. At least there is enough to dress the soil before planting the garlic in a few months. Then as I was putting the tools away and locking up the shed, the rain stopped.