Trying to stay sane

Over Christmas and New Year, my body behaved in a way I found disconcerting enough to propel me to the doctor’s. Already feeling anxious, I’ve now found myself cramming my time with activities to divert my thoughts but as I am sure most people know from their own experiences, the middle of the night is the most trying period of the day.

I doubt my neighbours would approve of the rumble of hoover on the stairs, even though they do need doing. On the other hand, I don’t think they will complain about my posting a photo of the lone snowdrop which has come up in the front garden this year.

I noticed it as we were on our way out to Old Sleningford Farm for the monthly volunteer workday yesterday. Just shows you how quickly a plant can grow, as I’m sure the flower wasn’t there earlier in the week.

Anyway, at the farm, Rachel and I did a lot of chopping. A number of willows had been removed from the forest garden along with ash suffering from ash dieback and old growth on the kiwis. So, we were taking off the thinner branches in order for the bigger wood to be cut for the wood burner.

It was therefore a good day out and a good work out.

About Helen

I have always been interesting in living a more environmentally friendly lifestyle and used to do what I could. Now, I have come to realise that we have reached such a point in terms of environmental degradation that it is more important - perhaps - to focus on building resilience. I therefore do as much as I can to reuse, grow my own and encourage a supportive community, for example. I also keep reading and learning all the time.
This entry was posted in Days out, Gardening, Health and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Trying to stay sane

  1. I hope you’re feeling better, now, Helen. Yes, middle-of-the-night worries are the worst! Love seeing the snowdrop:)

  2. Over Soil says:

    Knowing someone is visiting is a strange mix of emotions and motivation, that thankfully I don’t do often. Personally I also try to avoid hoovers and therefore don’t have much carpet, using a quiet broom, with a dustpan and brush. However, knowing someone is visiting this week found me painting the hall floor last thing last night. I got all I needed for bedtime and cornered myself right up to the stairs to go to bed. I checked at 3am and it was perfectly dry already. It’s not the toxic paint you “Should” use on ceramic red floor tiles, but that I’ve tried it before, it works beautifully and dries fast. Plus, it was being thrown away and would have been incinerated by Biffa, so there’s that and a nifty bit of salvage. I just read the pot and it’s wilko durable matt in a sort of sage, that I think is for walls and ceilings. I’ve painted it in a sort of paint it on thoroughly, then making the brush width sort of it lick some slightly off in a this way ~ that way weave pattern. Maybe this comment personifies TMI?

  3. Hope you feel better and get good news soon.

  4. Clare Pooley says:

    I’m sorry to see you haven’t been well. I hope you get good results from the doctor and feel better soon.

  5. Karen says:

    I’m sorry that you have not been well of late and worrying does seem to do its best in the middle of the night. Do hope you find what the problem is and it can be corrected. Hopefully your sleep will improve…take care.

I love to read about your own experiences and any other feedback you have, so look forward to your comments below.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.