Many moons ago, I had a blackberry bush. I’d bought it just as I crashed into a major depression in 2011. I didn’t know very much about horticulture at this point but it amazes me that I had the gumption at this point to go for a thornless variety. What I didn’t realise is that it would be a thorn in the side with its long tendrils all over the garden. And then it developed thorns, anyway.
So, I dug it out and put it at the back of the garden. To which a follower of my blog remarked that with these things you didn’t so much move as end up with two.
This appears to be the case with the Jerusalem artichokes. They had been growing in the largest pot in the garden but I decided I wanted this for a tomato plant this year. Thus, the remaining tubers were moved to another pot.
And then this happened:
Fortunately, from past experience, I know that they aren’t actually that hard to eradicate, having had to do so from when they were in the ground. Basically, you chop the plant down to the ground when the shoots appear. However, I decided to try transplanting all that I could found in their original home in the new abode. I expect that is not the last I will see of them in the place where the tomato is supposed to go but the rest will have to be sacrificed for the greater good.