Yesterday, on a whim, I took a Hebridean sheep’s fleece which had been hanging around the house too long to the Weavers, Spinners and Dyers Guild meeting to see if anyone wanted it. No one did but it appeased my conscience about putting it in the raised bed.
In washing the fleece, it seemed to have felted. Hence, it was no longer suitable for spinning. I did salvage the locks (curls of wiry hair), which hadn’t felted and which can be used as decoration perhaps, but when I got home the rest of the fleece went straight on top of the wood in the raised bed.
Sheep’s fleece is rich in nitrogen and so I’m hoping it will counteract the depletion of this element in the early stages of the wood’s decomposition. Having seen how the water used to wash the fleece had an almost immediately positive effect on the contents of the Green Johanna, it is at its worst unlikely to impede the growth of any plants in the bed next year.
On the other hand, it would have been no good if the fleece had blown away, so to anchor it down I emptied half of what was in the dalek compost bin over the top of it. Then I remembered all the other things I’d meant to put in the bed before the fleece.
Oh well, too late now. Everything else will be composted in the more conventional manner.