On Monday, I ended up being very busy after piling half the contents of the dalek compost bin onto the new raised bed but I made further progress this morning.
Overnight, I remembered I had more sheep’s fleece, this time in the form of felt used in packaging. Since the stuff rots quickly enough, it went on top of the compost already on the bed and, expecting it to be very windy later on, the rest of the compost from the dalek went on to weigh it down. However, I’d misjudged how much compost there was left, so it really is only weighing the fleece down.
At least the now empty compost bin could be moved to a new position. It was handy, having the bin so close to where the compost was to be used but I needed space for the rhubarb crown which I was given last year. And, after seeing how the lack of sunlight in the old bed restricted growth, it needed to be somewhere less shady than this, the only alternative spot.
So, the dalek has now moved from here
And I am now happily filling it up again, firstly with the materials originally intended for the new raised bed and then some of the contents of the Green Johanna with horse manure. I’m going to try to keep this concoction in there for about a year but we’ll see how it goes.