Fortunately, the local electrics shop was able to save the kitchen radio. The lead had come loose from the plug over Christmas and I’d been unsure whether a replacement lead and plug could be found.
Little did I know that the connection which goes in the device can be changed to fit different size ports but after a bit of experimenting the correct size was found. The man who sorted it all out for me seemed slightly dismayed that he had done me and the world a favour by saving the radio from the bin. I think he had been hoping for a larger sale but at least he had been honest.
With a spring in my step upon returning home, I got straight down to the job of compost-making. Today, on the agenda was adding some air to the compost in the dakek.
I’d put wood shavings in the bottom, which I later decided was a mistake, as they may take too long to decompose in a bin which is difficult to turn – especially as there does not appear to be any rat activity in this jurisdiction this winter. So, I took out as much of the bottom layer as I could and put it at the top of the heap, which seems to have helped in the past.
After these good deeds, I somehow managed to spend the rest of the day reading and knitting. But having also borrowed some books from the library and bought another from a charity shop while I was out, I have a lot to read in order to keep the pile down.